Cayenne peppers are a type of chilli pepper and are measured quite high on the Scoville scale. They are quite fiery and great at adding heat to a dish such as curries.
Cayenne peppers are around 10cm-15cm long with a bright red colour and are long with a slightly wrinkled skin. When ground, it keeps the bright red and distinctive colour and hot flavour.
Not only is it used in cooking as a spice, it is often used as a herbal supplement and traditionally used to reduce blood pressure and aid digestive health. More about this can be found online.
Benefits of cayenne pepper
- Measures between 30,000 – 50,000 on the Scoville scale depending on the amount of capsaicin levels present in the pepper
- Adds a fiery heat to recipes such as curries
- Is traditionally used in herbal medicine to aid digestive health and help with high blood pressure
- Has a bright red colour that brightens up a curry
- Is often added to hot drinks to speed up metabolism although there is not scientific evidence that this does work
Cayenne pepper can be bought in a variety of sizes depending on your requirements.