Cubeb pepper is a rare and hard to find Indonesian pepper also known as Java pepper because of where it is grown. They are similar to black peppercorns in appearance but have a slightly different taste that can be recognisable in recipes.
Cubebs are sourced from the tropical climbing vine found in Indonesia. The fruit of the plant is picked off of the vine whilst green and dried. The drying process turns the fruit a dark brown colour with the short stalk still in place, making it very distinctive.
What does cubeb pepper taste like?
This pepper has a distinctive peppery taste that has essence of allspice and nutmeg and is often used to substitute black pepper in recipes. It is particularly popular in Moroccan and African cuisine where spices are the key element to the heart of the dish.
How to use cubeb peppers
- Use in gin making for a distinctive spice aroma
- Can be used for making authentic African cuisine
- Try including it in baking such as spiced shortbread – ideal for the festive period
- Use in a spice rub to flavour poultry or tofu
- Make homemade five spice using cubeb pepper in the mix
You can buy cubeb pepper online in small or bulk sizes depending on your requirements. We deliver to most of the UK and throughout Europe with fast delivery times suited to you.