Make 2 bottles of truly special mulled wine with this delicious, aromatic and altogether heart-warming bundle. Christmas wouldn’t be quite the same without it!
This pack includes:
- 8 Star Anise
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 15 Cloves
- 1 Vanilla Pod
- 1 Whole Nutmeg
Includes a recipe card to make a delicious mulled wine using coconut sugar (it tastes like caramel!). And we promise you can use regular sugar if you prefer!
Try our very own recipe
We’re mightily proud of this one. But give us your all-important verdict!
- 1 bottle red wine
- 1 orange with peel (optional + 1/2 lime peel, 1/2 lemon peel)
- 2 whole star anise
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 6 gratings of nutmeg
- 80g coconut palm sugar, or 100g caster/brown sugar
- 2 or 3 cardamom pods
- 1 bay leaf
1. Peel chunks of peel from the whole orange (plus lime and lemon if you’re using it).
2. Add all the spices, sugar or sweetener and fruit peel to a pan, squeeze in the orange and add a glug of the wine so the ingredients are just covered.
3.Bring to a boil on a medium heat. Boil for 4-5mins so that you have a nice syrupy base.
4.Then add the rest of the wine and turn the heat right down – heat gently it is warmed through but be careful not to boil it.
5. & finally… Strain, serve and enjoy!
Instead of sugar, experiment with your favourite healthy natural sweeteners: honey, agave, date syrup, maple syrup – you choose! We personally love the deep, almost caramel-like flavour that coconut sugar brings to this recipe. But each has their own beautiful effect.
Perhaps spice things up even more with some allspice or even prickly cayenne pepper! Be sure to go easy on your guests.
Add a dash of ‘extra festivity’. i.e. rum, liqueur or some snappy ginger wine.
Let the ingredients stand for about half an hour at stage 2 (before heating the wine and spice mix) to infuse the spices even more!